Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A letter to RTM

Dear RTM,

And by RTM, I mean TV1 and TV2. Anyway, the reason for this letter is to share what I feel for the channels and what you guys over there at RTM should be doing to solve the issues presented, if ever solved.

I have always watched these channels since I was little back in the 90's. Every weekend, would love to catch up with my favourite cartoons and during school holidays, would watch movies you guys chose to show. And every now and then, there would be the classics of P Ramlee's and then,
sometimes during the weekdays, you guys would show some Kung-fu movies which my brothers and I really loved watching, especially ones where the movies featured Jackie Chan or Jet Li.

But that was before Astro came along. Well, Astro wasn't really a threat to your viewership then because it was still really expensive and most middle-class people couldn't afford to have Astro at home. So, RTM still dominates the televisions back then.

And then, during last decade, Astro has become cheaper and there was a huge rise in subscription among the middle income families and Astro offers a variety of channels, from ESPN, to FOX, to AXN to Astro Ria. With the power of the remote control, we have these channels to choose from! Awesome, isn't it?

Yes, but with that happening, you have lost your viewership drastically, I daresay. I don't know about the older section of the society, but as for my generation, especially those still below their 30's, we RARELY turn to TV1 or TV2 anymore. Simply because your contents are too boring, too government-ish and just becoming more and more irrelevant.

Well, we do tune in to your channels every now and then, but if there's football featuring our national football team. But other than that, I can't say my friends and I watch your channels at all.

Your featured drama? - Boring
Your selection of programme - Lame
Your news programme - you can feel the "lame-ness" of the reporting by the newscaster

I know that RTM is where the government use to mainly voice out their voices, but what's the point in delivering fancy patriotic messages if there's no one watching?

But to be fair, I have always been watching TV3 since my childhood days and I still watch them today. TV3 actually succeed in becoming relevant with the generation-Y.

I'm just saying, if the government is going on full-steam ahead with the ETP/GTP programme, I'd say TV1 and TV2 should also be transformed!

Other than that, both of these channels are wasting away their time running the stations with no one watching.

Thank you.
Happy Christmas


No comments:

Post a Comment