Sunday, January 15, 2012

Remembering the "A Christian living among the Muslims" Story

After the incident involving the recent fist-fighting between KFC staff and the customer that later evolved to racism-related issues. In light of that recent event, I would like to invite all of you to read again my views on this through my own personal lens. Sorry if it's a little bit long but I always love to use this as a story I am proud to share with my friends out there. 
.............................................................................................................................................................
A letter to promote understanding, banning racism and acceptance.

I'm a Christian living among the Muslims. My housemates are Muslims. 
My best friends are Muslims (notice the s ?). My varsity mates are Muslims. My football team members are Muslims. It has been 7 years since I live here in Kuala Lumpur and what has happened to me? I am perfectly safe, every part of my body is still with me and I am fine, completely at peace. There has been no violence acted upon me. 

The reason I'm coming up with this post is to address the problem with the so-called Islamophobia. By using the term Islamophobia alone, I think you are clear enough where it means we fear the Muslims for them being violent and high tendency to blow bombs. It is an irrational fear or prejudice towards Islam and Muslims as a whole. 

A decade has passed since 9th September 2001 when two airplanes struck the World Trade Centre and and another into Pentagon but the lingering fear towards the Muslims still live on. 

Terrorist attacks reported on the news. The first thing that jump to the head, It must be the Muslims! 
Without taking into consideration what's the attack all about and not a single investigation has been done.


via 

I always believe in taking the effort to understand other people's cultures, beliefs and customs and without which, the trend of Islamophobia will continue to haunt us. 

There was a time when SIFE (Student in Free Enterprise) held its SIFE World Cup in Los Angeles, California and a friend of mine who happened to be a Muslim with the name Muhammad as his name, tried to apply for a visa but got rejected. Why? There's Muhammad in the name. 

Thus, I always feel it is my responsibility, as a Christian but who also happen to be living among the Muslims to provide the right picture to others who are non-Muslim, regardless whether they are of other religions, not excluding the atheists. 

During the Eid Celebration this one time in 2009, I stayed for a week at my friend's village to join the celebration. It was fun. I had even worn the traditional Malay costume for men and was given a name Arief by my friend's family during my brief stay. I was deeply moved. 


And the following year, I stayed again for a week during the Eid Celebration. 

The fact of the matter is, the more efforts I had taken and will continue to take in understanding Islam, the more it make sense that the religion loves peace. But have my faith in Christianity wavered? No. In fact, it has strengthened but at the same time, I also have deeper understanding towards Islam. 

How they pray
What are the terms they commonly used, one of them is Insha'Allah

And I even participated with the fasting month as well. 

Without proper understanding of something, we would never be able to comprehend completely what we are facing and what we are facing at the moment - on the basis of Islamophobia - is not threat. They are not the enemies. They are friends. They are our brothers and sisters. They protected me when I am weak and I'm not writing this because I fear for my safety if I say otherwise, but I have complete faith in our bond, in our friendship with one another and thus why, I have no reason to feel threatened. 

And in return, I am also teaching them what is Christianity and what I believe in. If you must know, Islam and Christian have different views towards Christ, but does that mean it would become a barrier for me to befriend them? A barrier for me to call them my brothers? my sisters? 

No.

It should become valued. It makes it much more interesting because of the differences. Recently, I have also organized a Christmas dinner at home and interestingly enough, I was the only Christian at home while the rest were Muslims. But did that make it less fun? On the contrary, it was really fun!

I even gave them presents! 


myself and my housemates

But after I have done all these, have they converted? Have their faith in Islam weakened? No. They have strengthened but in return, they gain more understanding which would make the relationship between us that much more sincere and fun!

Well, I'm ending my letter, hoping that if each everyone of us take the time and a little effort to understand one another, perhaps we can actually see much better progress in this world -  Peace and harmony. It doesn't need billions of dollars of budget, it only takes sincerity, time and the willingness to learn. 

Clive





No comments:

Post a Comment